Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Ok everyone, let's cheer...very quietly

Like many men I know, I am married to a working woman. Society has made great strides towards ensuring that women aren't "wasting" their time raising children, and are instead, in the workplace where they can put their significant talents to work making money driving this grand economy. I personally feel that we can thank today's real-estate prices on the dual-income family, but that's another topic for another day.

At any rate, my wife has been very successful in the workplace. She's educated, having gotten her Master's degree and then after college, when we got married, she went to work for a fairly small pharmaceutical company and has been there ever since.

The company is really close to where we work, which for Atlanta, is a God-send. That's also been a bit of a curse, since, despite it being a huge "good ol boys club", the location makes up for a lot of downsides. However, in her 7 years there, she's gotten 3 promotions, which, if you compare that to how many in-company promotions I've gotten (zero baby!) is pretty darn good.

Other nice things about where she works:

  • no cubicles. Even as a newbie, she shared an office. Now has one of her own. I, on the other hand, have always had a cubicle and it looks like I always will
  • close to our daycare so she can drop off/pick up kids at will
  • they throw a decent Christmas party every year
  • yearly bonuses

So, all in all we can't complain.

While my wife was on maternity leave, a position came open as Prod. Manager of a new drug they are coming out with. She was fully qualified and decided to go out for it. So, she went back to work two weeks early, prepared a full launch plan for this new drug (took a week), interviewed yesterday and didn't get the job. The person who did get the job is, not surprisingly, a District Manager who'se job is getting eliminated AND did I mention he plays golf with the VP? Yeah...

But here's the deal...she really wanted this job even though it would have meant a good deal more travel, which is strange cuz she's always going on about wanting to be here for the kids. Now personally, I'm a bit relieved she didn't get it. Yet ANOTHER promotion aside, I wasn't looking forward to schlepping the kids 8 miles (one way) to daycare on the days that she's travelling. So, part of me feels bad that I don't feel bad for her, but part of me is pretty thrilled.

Unfortunately, the excuse they gave her, if you choose to believe it, is because she never worked in the field as a lowly Sales Rep and he did. However, she has an MBA and significant marketing experience launching another product (Androgel), neither of which this guy has. So the question that she posed to the hiring manager is, "So, you're telling me that in the future, if I want to go for a promotion, and anyone with field experience also goes up against it, I won't get the job?" The answer was pretty much "yes." So basically, she's done at this company, unless they come back later and admit it was a bullshit reason for not giving her the job and they really just wanted to keep their golfing buddy eating at the family trough.

Could it be the end of the good locale job? We'll see...

No comments: