Friday, April 06, 2007

Brownie Points Akimbo!



Being Good Friday and all, I took today off to give my wife a break. My
wife, as you may remember, recently gave birth to our second son and she's been on maternity leave for just over 6 weeks now. Seeing as how she's been caring for the youngin' every day for more than a month I felt now would be a good time to bank some brownie points...you know...since it's spring and I really wanna get out in the yard (and um, maybe buy a riding lawn mower).

All in all it's been an easy day. We went to Home Depot, we went to the paint store and picked up some samples for our front door. The previous owners painted it black ("you bastards!"). It's quite the travesty and I just have to paint it.


Anyway, the baby has been asleep for nearly 2.5 hours now and I just know that the second I sit down to blog, he'll start screaming. So far I'm wrong, but we'll see.


Anyway, back to the brownie points...I figured I'd book these major brownie points taking care of the baby today and all till my wife tells me that she booked me a massage for this afternoon at 5 p.m. Dang! Don't get me wrong, it'll be nice, but there goes at least half my points.


So there I am yesterday cooking dinner and the phone rings. I pick it up and the person says, "May I speak to Mr. X or Mrs. X" and I say--grammatically incorrect--"This is he," and the other person says, "This is Massage Envy just calling to remind you that Mrs. X has an appointment at 3 p.m. and you have one at 5 p.m. Thank you."


AH HA! So that's how it played out huh? See, she didn't tell me she also had an appointment booked. That gives me back at least half the points I had lost. A gift of guilt, while appreciated, doesn't quite carry the same weight now does it?

No comments: