Thursday, July 26, 2007

When you're stuck with (another) day, that's gray, and looonelly...


Since yesterday's blog, I learned a few things. Apparently, my boss, unbeknownst to me, has been in discussions with the Marketing Communications (Marcom) group to move me over there as a "writer." Now, coincidentally, I was simultaneously developing a business case for basically the same thing, except (and this is a big "except") under the auspices of being a "Team Lead".

Why a "Team Lead" you ask and not a Manager? Well, the company I work for (it's big, it's blue, and its people are known to be heartless robots), has interesting definitions of what makes a "Manager" per-se. You have to have a certain number of people directly reporting to you in order for you to be considered a Manager. And even if I did move over to the Marcom group at the level I want, there aren't the proper number of people to report to me to satisfy the requirement. So, at best, I can get a "Team Lead" position which basically means the same thing, but doesn't come with the requisite pay raise. Oh well.

Anyway, I found out my bosses' plans in a meeting with him yesterday and feeling that it was especially lucky that I did find out ahead of time (since everyone talks about me, but not to me) I also took the opportunity to tell him that if I didn't get a "Team Lead" position there, I would not be staying with the company.

Gutsy move I might regret later, but here's why:

  1. This is the second consecutive job that I have been promised a Team Lead position in and this is the second one that has renegged on their word

  2. If I move over as a "Writer" I will be in effect, putting my career back 3-4 years, since I have held the following titles in the last 4 years: Sr. Technical Writer and Marketing Manager. To go back to "Writer" would be career stupidity

The interesting thing is, that even people here at work that I talk to regularly seem to know more about my bosses' career plans for me than even I do. I find the whole charade fascinating and revolting at the same time.

The funny thing is, in my meeting yesterday my boss said, "Well first, you should never tell your boss you quit unless you're willing to follow through with it."

You know what I did, I chuckled, and then I said, "I wasn't kidding. You're my fourth boss in six months. That's six months that I've been scratching and clawing my way by myself, with absolutely no support behind me whatsoever and I'm done fighting. There are other companies out there who would welcome me and give me the support I need to get my job done."

There wasn't much he could say after that. So, I have a meeting mid-morning today to discuss my "move" and I suspect I'll have a pretty good feeling after that meeting as to my future at my current company. Interestingly, while I don't relish the idea of moving yet again, I really don't care. I honestly don't care whether I stay or go. I suspect that's what has emboldened me to make the demands I've made.

When you've got nothing to lose, why not?

No comments: