Friday, May 18, 2007

Silly "Box of Chocolates" metaphors

In a shameless attempt at generating visits, from anyone at all, to my Blog, today's posting center's around last night's episide of "The Office." Fans of the show will instantly know what I'm talking about, but for the unitiated; "The Office" is a tongue-in-cheek parody of office life for many of today's White-Collar workers. Complete with eccentric personalities and a complete lack of privacy, it works because its outrageousness is based in reality.

Last night's episode was the culmination of a season's worth of plotlines. Not the least of which was a new job at their corporate office in NY, that several office workers were interviewing for. In the end, (SPOILER!) the least likely candidate, and the one they didn't focus on at all, got the job. He is a recent MBA grad working as a sales rep, but who, in a year hasn't made a single sale. His only requisite experience being, apparently, his advanced degree.

This got me thinking...until a few years ago, I didn't have a degree and had been fairly successful in my career. I hit a wall though and realized one was necessary, and so went back and finished. But despite my having a degree now, there will always be a part of me that believes an education is a poor substitute for real experience. Which is why "The Office" is popular with a diverse range of people. The MBA-types will see the show and think, "With his education, he has potential and that's what really matters." The non-advanced degree types will likely say, "Yep, that's what usually happens. I work my butt off and look where it gets me."

Both are right of course, which means neither is REALLY right at all. The not-so-hidden message in last night's episode is that getting ahead in this world is never as cut and dried as you might think. You may be well-qualified and still not get the job. Timing has a lot to do with it too.

Which of course, brings me back to, well, um, ME. I'm not sure what I'll be doing at my current job in 2 months. Truthfully, none of us really do. I may be at a crossroads whereas in one direction, I can stick it out doing what I enjoy doing, all the while hoping that I get to keep doing it and that eventually doors will open. The other road leads to a possible new position doing very little of what I'm comfortable doing, but which would almost undoubtedly lead to more opportunities down the road.

What to do what to do?...

In some respects, each day is like the season finale of a tv show; full of resolved plotlines and possible new avenues of exploration. I just hope that I don't have to wait until next summer to see what happens next.



No comments: